Sunday, January 12, 2014

Civilization IV, Or At My Heart, I've Found Out I'm Just Not A Warmonger...

...at least I don't enjoy beating up computer opponents.

Ok, strike that, I do enjoy wargames.  But I'm kind of an unusual beast when it comes to my choice of martial merriment.  The ones I do enjoy are ones that either are very tactical in nature and go into lots of detail about the weapons, vehicles and technology being used.  Also, I love a roleplaying element, not only the feel of individuals and their decisions as they conduct the business of war, I like seeing the effects and limitations of the era, technology and circumstances shown in the game.  I like a "feel" that I'm doing something more that calculating odds and rolling dice and looking at the results on charts.  I want an immersive experience.  I want to "be there" and have a sense of a story unfolding before me.

What does all that have to do with Civilization IV?  Well, I can't comment on all of the Civilization series of computer games, but they come from well regarded game designer Sid Meier and depict civilizations starting out in prehistory and struggling to survive, advance and reach for the stars.  Along the way, they don't only improve their scientific acumen and their ability to make war, they also pursue art, culture and spirituality.  Very abstractly, mind you, but it does play a role in the development of your civilization.  Also, the civilizations interact with each other, trade, establish boundaries and every now and then, conflict.

Now, playing this game, after starting out and sucking, being roundly beaten by the computer opponents on the easiest level, I've gotten to the point where I can routinely win on more difficult levels.  I've won many points victories, some of the starship launching victories and even recently won my first diplomatic victory, which is done when you put yourself up for victory at the United Nations and your fellow civilizations agree you win.

Here's the thing.  When you have "won", you do have the option to play on, deploy your technological terrors and beat on your computer opponents.  That might be kinda fun if you are playing humans, but I've found that against a computer, that is when the limitations of the game as a simulation for climbing out of the primitive darkness and reaching for the stars leap out and scream.  When your civilization is establishing itself, exploring the world, investigating what is possible, the illusion is there that that is just what is going on.  It FEELS right, if a bit abstract (for example, your American nation, other than the name of your leader who never dies, the names of your cities and a signature military unit, in this case, Navy SEALS are really all that is "American" about that nation).  But when it becomes time for war...there comes a point where throwing stacks of units at your rival's stacks and cities becomes...underwhelming.  Yay.  I won.  Got lots of people killed and now I have this new city to rebuild. 

Which is ok, when you have to fight.  But I've found that in this game, unless you have to, I'd rather not.  Not only does it become repetitive and tedious...there's a vague sense of futility and even...guilt (for similar reasons, I don't play "evil" characters in roleplaying games.  I love a well crafted villain, but I won't play "evil" characters just to have an excuse of being "evil", which is what most "evil" campaigns, especially early in the career of a roleplayer are).  The first time (and only time) I actually used nukes in the game?  As silly as it sounds, I felt vaguely guilty.  Most of the time, I either avoid developing the Manhatten Project (how you and everyone else can get nukes), or as soon as I do, I get the UN going so we can vote on a ban against the use of nukes.

Kind of ironic, considering one of my favorite old school games is Flying Buffalo's Nuclear War.  But in that game, nuking is both satirical and critical of the Mutually Assured Destruction mentality.  In a game about civilizations evolving and reaching for the stars?  Like in reality, such a thing seems a terrible crime.

Yeah,  I know it is just a game.  But unless I've got a really good reason for it, and I haven't seen such in the game itself...nukes are wasted resources that are best spent elsewhere, unless circumstances force the issue.

But like most dillemas where science was key in making them...you kinda brought it on yourself.  To quote Jurrassic Park, "Your scientists were so concerned about whether we could do this thing, they never stopped to ask themselves whether they should."

When it comes to launching starships, though, to leave the cradle and seek that next civilization.  No guilt, just joy and awe, contemplating the day when it happens for real.

That is the mark of Civilization.

No comments:

Post a Comment