Monday, July 12, 2010

The Maim Event-Rasslin Meets Raunch And Raw Meat

On another social networking site that shall remain nameless, I stumbled across an interesting find. A woman named Monique "Gata" Dupree. And what can I say, her obvious credentials caught my eye (dark skin, HUGE breasts, lovely looks, and athletic ability). She has her lovely digits in a wide range of media pies, but the one I was interested in the most is her forays into
B-movieland.

The world of indie B-trash films is an interesting one and can be quite touch and go, quality-wise. There are two ways you can guarantee yourself (almost guarantee) you will find quality productions. First, find names in the industry whose work you enjoy. Second, find reviews detailing works you are interested in, though this can be more problematic, as the reviewer in question may not "get" the material.

What does all this have to do with Ms. Dupree? Why, this. I'm a very intuitive person and tend to trust my gut a lot. I get vibes and they often steer me in good directions. By now you probably have looked up pictures of Ms. Dupree and are now saying it's not my "intuition" leading me. And you would be wrong. Ms. Dupree's talents are pronounced and formidable, but that's not what got me to buy a copy of The Maim Event. There are lots of pretty, busty women out there, but not all of them are worth spending on to watch flounce, bounce and bound across the silver screen. They gots ta bring more sumpin' sumpin' to the revels to be worthy of viewing, especially for more than, say, five, ten minutes.

I began reading about Ms. Dupree and the projects she was involved in and checked out some titles. When I saw The Maim Event, which is basically an ultra low budget slasher flick based around small town rasslin', I saw MUCH potential in the proceedings.

It goes something like this. Charlie is a dreamer and pictures himself as the next big promoter in wrestling. The dominating local promotion is just not getting it done in his view, so he sets about to set up his own promotion. Thing is, the other guy doesn't care for the competition and sets his stable of "wrestlers" on Charlie to try to sabotage his efforts, fustrate his moves and engage in series of scenes intended for over the top mayhem and excuses to get buxom women undressed.

This movie is trash, but it is trash done RIGHT. The acting is decent, lots of the jokes, both high and low find their mark. Lots of nudity and it is shameless. And small town wrestling promotions, being a guy from the south where this is fairly common, are an easy mine for comedy gold. I mean, we are talking about non-athletes with the lamest of gimmicks (and a few who are actually pretty good), but they've often got heart and a yen for the spotlight. So that and a beer and it can be a decent night's entertainment.

As this film is. The Maim Event. You've got all that and Monique "Gata" Dupree. Thank you, Ms. Dupree. This will be the first night of many, you and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment