Monday, December 13, 2021

There's No Place Like On The Air...For The Holidays...


 

    One of my IRL gigs is morning host for one of the local radio stations, in fact, the local NPR affiliate. Thing you need to know about NPR listeners, is that they do tend to be a smart, erudite, elevated crowd. But...they do self-estimate themselves to be on an even higher plane than they actually are. Which is why they absolutely take seriously certain notions, like a man can be woman because of his feelings, or that what happened Jan. 6 was an insurrection, no matter what the FBI said, or that Donald Trump's collusion with the Russians swung the 2016 election, no matter what Robert Mueller in the end said. So...it is what it is.

    So, today, I was doing my thing. And like any non-liner reading on-air type, I will noodle and freestyle a bit. I commented that the 12 Days of Christmas began today, the 13th of December, as I realized we have 12 days to Christmas, as of Monday morning. I warbled a bit about that on the air, some friendly, holidayesque on air improv, then was off to the next element.

    Well, lo and behold, I get an email from the station manager, forwarding an email from a listener. This listener caught my performance and wanted to make sure I was corrected in my errors, in that this was not indeed the 12 Days of Christmas. Those don't actually start until Christmas Day. As of a week ago, we fell into another season, the one before the musical 12, that being Advent.

    Honestly, I did not know how this actually fell, calendar-wise. But I also was not intending to be a fount of actual information, just doing some holiday thinking out loud.  She signed off with this...

"I just find that many Texans are confused about the 12 days of Christmas. I can't resist asking CALL LETTERS REDACTED to be more aware."

I appreciate you supplying the correction, ma'am. I in turn have to resist telling you to pull the stick out of your 4th point of contact on the air, and will have to merely thank you. Here, I will also thank you but also request, for the peace of the season, specifically your own, to lighten up.

Merry Christmas!  Ho ho ho.

No comments:

Post a Comment