Sunday, October 6, 2013

Word Pictures...The Spoken Word Is Still Alive

I've made the decision to leave the US Army before I got to twenty years.  Six years shy of that.  The reason for that are many, but one of the key reasons is this.  For years now, I've felt a parting of the ways coming with me and the Army.  My vocation in the service is as a broadcaster, trained in radio television skills.  By far my strongest is the ability to perform with the spoken word (I also am not a bad writer).   But as I have gone up in rank, the Army's tendency is to pull me away from my core skills, to the point where I feel less like a key contributor and more like just a number.  Honestly, I think the Army institutionally prefers things this way.  I have realized, however, that I don't.  I am leaving the service, continuing my schooling and pursuing in earnest my chosen arts, writing, performing, radio broadcasting, the spoken word.

Word Pictures is a DVD which celebrates the art of the speken word.  Featuring a storyteller named Mark W. Lewis and a musician named Craig Coulter, the two of them stand on a stage in front of a crowd of three hundred and with mere words, bring to life tales of magic, mystery, heroism and whimsy.  No CGI, no complicated production...mere words.

In the beginning was the word, y'all.  The word is how we announce we are on the scene.  Even when born, our cries are the equivalent of our first words, announcing to the word that we have something to say.

And really, that is all a story is, an expression of the journey.  Sometimes, to take that journey, all you need is a voice.

That is what Word Pictures celebrates.

No comments:

Post a Comment